Archive - Moses Baroway Letters
Scope and Contents
The collection consists of a single file of correspondence to Baroway's family and others concerning service with the American Zionist Medical Unit in Palestine between 1917-1919.
- Creation: September 1917 - June 1919
- Baroway, Moses. (Person)
There are no restrictions to accessing this collection, however researchers need written permission to print or publish.
Materials are available by appointment only. To make an appointment and request materials in advance, contact the Librarian in charge of archival materials at: 212.678.8973 or via E-mail: email@example.com.
Moses Baroway (1894-1926) was born in Baltimore, MD. He received his B.A. from Johns Hopkins University in 1915 and then enrolled in the Jewish Theological Seminary. In 1918 he was given leave from the seminary in order to go to Palestine as a member of the American Zionist Medical Unit. He returned to the seminary in 1919, and was ordained in June of that year. He received his degree from The Jewish Theological Seminary on March 18, 1920.
Baroway briefly served as rabbi of the Anshei Emeth Synagogue in Akron, OH before moving on to serve at Beth Emeth in Wilmington, DE, for one year between 1921 to 1922. He came to New York from Delaware, first as executive director of the West Side Branch of the Young Men's Hebrew Association (YMHA), later as the religious and education director of the 92nd Street "Y”, a post he held at the time of his death in 1926, at age thirty-two.
1. The American Hebrew & Jewish Messenger, Volume 107, Issues 14-26, captured June 18, 2015 https://books.google.com/books?id=M1xAAQAAMAAJ&pg=PA511&lpg=PA511&dq=Moses+Baroway&source=bl&ots=nqgoCxfjKh&sig=ppLea3Nll0qeqj7pGt0qbqDuu4M&hl=en&sa=X&ei=WBKDVardCIqNsQTR7pCwCQ&ved=0CDwQ6AEwCA#v=onepage&q=Moses%20Baroway&f=false
2. Website of Beth Emeth, Wilmington, captured June 18, 2015 http://www.bethemethde.org/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=55&Itemid=262
3. Frank I. Schechter, “Proceedings of the Rabbinical Assembly,” 1927, pp. 92-95.
0.1 Linear Feet (in one folder.)
Language of Materials
Materials are available (by appointment only) at The Special Collections Reading Room, The Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary, 3080 Broadway, New York, NY 10027. Phone: 212.678.8973 or via E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source of Acquisition
The correspondence was a gift of Mark R. Schreiber, 1985.
- Guide to the Moses Baroway Letters
- Daniel Soyer
- October 1986
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funding for the retrospective conversion of the original finding aid documents to produce this guide using Archivists’ Toolkit was made possible by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
- Edition statement
- 2nd Edition.