Archive - Marcus Nathan Adler Papers
Scope and Contents Note
Includes correspondence with brother Hermann Adler, father Nathan Marcus Adler, Joseph Sebag Montefiore, and others; (alphabetical), 1872-1897. Also includes a wedding invitation (1867) and the minutes of the Committee for an Expedition to the Jews in China, Abyssinia, and the East (1864).
- Creation: 1864–1897 (bulk 1872-1897)
- Adler, Marcus Nathan, 1837-1911 (Person)
Other Language or Scripts Used
In English, Hebrew, Yiddish, German.
Materials are available by appointment only. To make an appointment and request materials in advance, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no restrictions to accessing this collection, however researchers need written permission to print or publish from it.
Son of Nathan Marcus Adler, chief rabbi of Britain. An actuary and Jewish scholar, he authored works on archaeology, Jewish history, life insurance, and political economics. He prepared the critical text, translation, and commentary of The Itinerary of Benjamin of Tudela (New York: Phillip Feldheim, Inc., 1907). Adler served as secretary of the committee, organized to raise funds to send the traveler, J. J. Benjamin II (real name--Israel Joseph Benjamin) to Asia and Africa.
0.21 Linear Feet (in one half document case.)
Miscellaneous correspondence received by Marcus N. Adler and the minute book of the committee for an Expedition to the Jews in China, Abyssinia and the East (1864).
The collection consists of a book of minutes and eleven folders of correspondence in alphabetical order.
Materials are available by appointment only at The Special Collections Reading Room, The Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary, 3080 Broadway, New York, NY 10027. Email email@example.com.
Source of Acquisition
Received with the Elkan N. Adler Library, purchased in 1923.
- Adler, Hermann (Person)
- Sebag-Montefiore, Joseph. (Person)
- Benjamin, I. J. (Israel Joseph) (Person)
- Committee for an Expedition to the Jews in China, Abyssinia, and the East (Organization)
- Adler, Nathan Marcus, 1803-1890 (Person)
- Guide to the Marcus Nathan Adler Papers
- Daniel Soyer.
- October 1986
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Code for undetermined script
- Language of description note
- Funding for retrospective conversion of original documents to produce this guide using Archivists’ Toolkit was made possible by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).
- Edition statement
- 2nd Edition.