Archive - Congregation Ansche Chesed (New York, NY) Records
Scope and Contents Note
Congregation Ansche Chesed's records, 1876-1989, consist of correspondence, financial records, membership records, minutes of the board of directors, publications and other printed materials, cemetery records, subject files, scrapbooks, and tapes.
The correspondence and financial records represent the most substantial portions of the collection. Of particular note in the collection are: records relating to the construction and furnishing of both the 1907-1908 and 1927-1928 synagogues; lists, 1945-1946, of World War II servicemen; programs of services marking the end of World War II; a minute book, 1876-1889, dating from Ansche Chesed's official founding; a copy of an 1899 constitution of the temple; a map of the Riverside Cemetery of New Rochelle Park, New Jersey, 1918; and a 1906 siddur.
- Creation: 1876-1989
- Congregation Ansche Chesed (New York, N.Y.) (Organization)
Language of Materials
English, Yiddish, German
Materials are available by appointment only. To make an appointment and request materials in advance, contact the Librarian in charge of archival materials at: 212.678.8973 or via E-mail: email@example.com.
Reproduction of fragile items (brittle correspondence and scrapbooks) is not permitted. Digital surrogates are available for use and are noted on appropriate entries; consult the librarian about literary rights.
Congregation Ansche Chesed was officially founded in 1876. It was first located at 86th Street and 3rd Avenue. After a period on East 112th Street, the congregation moved into its newly constructed synagogue at Seventh Avenue and 114th Street in 1908. In 1927, the congregation moved to its present location at West End Avenue and 100th Street, to a building designed for it by architect Edward Shire, who also designed the congregation's Seventh Avenue building.
36 Linear Feet (in 19 boxes, 34 volumes, and 19 packages.)
The collection is arranged into 9 series:
I. Correspondence, 1915-1974
II. Financial Records, 1894-1979
III. Membership Records, 1893-1984
IV. Board of Directors' Records, 1876-1973
V. Publications and Printed Material, 1917-1989
VI. Cemetery Records, 1900-1979
VII. Subject Files, 1888-1989
VIII. Scrapbooks, 1928-1968
IX. Tapes, 1963-1966; Undated
Materials are available (by appointment only) at The Special Collections Reading Room, The Library of the Jewish Theological Seminary, 3080 Broadway, New York, NY 10027. Phone: 212.678.8973 or via E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Source of Acquisition
Gift of Congregation Ansche Chesed, July 6, 1988.
Existence and Location of Copies
Digital surrogates of items in this collection, (minutes, membership records, death registers, letter books, etc. ), can be found in 'The Sylvia and Harry Rebell Digital Collections,' via the “Library Digital Collections” link on the left-hand navigation column on the Library’s home page.
Materials in Box 10 were rehoused in three document cases (10A, 10B, 10C) in 2023.
- Guide to the Congregation Ansche Chesed (New York, NY) Records
- June 12, 1991.
- Description rules
- Describing Archives: A Content Standard
- Language of description
- Script of description
- Funding for the retrospective conversion of the original finding aid documents to produce this guide using Archivists’ Toolkit was made possible by a grant from the National Historical Publications and Records Commission (NHPRC).